Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cellar Doors and Ball Peen Hammers

Well readers you may wonder why in the world did I choose "Cellar Doors and Ball Peen Hammers" as the title. Well let me tell you the story.

Leigh and I went to see Burning Man in SL and he suggested this writers party for people who write and love literature. I was almost too embarrassed open my mouth because everybody sounded so smart. I was afraid I would say something dumb and people would think I was running for US Vice President or something.

Then somebody said something about "hula" or something and I remembered I had a cool hula hoop. I started giving them to everybody. Then Leigh remembered he had a pogo stick and started giving out them. Before long people started to pogo AND hula! It was sort of funny to see a very literate group of probably college professors and serious writers all pogo-ing and hula-ing while talking about DH Lawrence and Virgina Wolfe.

For some reason (I can't remember why now) Leigh said something about a "ball peen hammer". Those are those hammers with a round ball head. I like the sound of the word - ball peen hammer. Then he said a writer mentioned the word cellar door as a word that had a nice sound. So I guess that's all I can remember .

9 comments:

Franziskus said...

"I was afraid I would say something dumb and people would think I was running for US Vice President or something." - Oh brother, you're so funny! I laughed my ass off!

Rammy said...

Glad someone caught that - but don't lose that ass!

Unknown said...

Sounds very intellectual, where am I when these things are happening on SL. Oh worrying about our land-estate, ask Franz. Not really funny, but would have loved an event like this to take my mind off that trouble. Hula hoop party, I think I have some in my inventory as well, what a idea for a next week party, Franz. ^_~ Anyways Rammy, please run for vice-president on the independent ticket, you have my vote, atleast I know you are not a stupid breeder like Palin. Love you!

Rickie said...

I am wondering how many new books there will be in a couple months that feature pogo sticks and hula hoops....WTG Rammy, more great reading! As for VEEP?? Nah you to smart for it. Go for Secretary of State, you get to travel more....

Jordyn Carnell said...

Join Secondlife bloggers.. they do kinda, sorta, literate events all the time.. this is my page there: http://secondlifebloggers.ning.com/profile/2fgw7i5i2g68j

Anonymous said...

It was JRR Tolkien, who once wrote that the words "cellar door" were the nicest sounding words in any language. And I think he was right. It was used (as Celador) by a TV and film production company.

Rammy said...

Oh - thanks Karl. Leigh said the name of the author but my brain must have been filled up that evening and I didn't have enough space left!

Leigh Eel said...

So I hadn't heard it being Tolkien who said that about "cellar door". I had heard it from a different source.. so I did a little researching.. I attributed it to George Jean Nathan, theatre critic for the New York Times.. He was criticizing Gertrude Stein's application of a sort of "literary bolchevickism" in which the sound and rhythm of words were more important than the meanings. He agreed that this was sometimes true, but that Stein "had not mastered the trick that she sponsors" and then He gave this example "Sell a cellar,door a cellar, sell a cellar cellar-door, door adore, adore a door, selling cellar,door a cellar, cellar cellar-door." I looked up the Tolkien reference, and saw that it was legit as well. Soo.. what you gonna do?

Rammy said...

wow - interesting

Second Life® and Linden Lab® are trademarks or registered trademarks of Linden Research, Inc. All rights reserved. No infringement is intended. This site is not owned or operated by Second Life® or Linden Lab®. Any information contained here does not in any way represent the views of Linden Lab® or its employees.